Author Topic: Study finds that Fructose can increase risk of heart disease and diabetes.  (Read 10592 times)

Offline John

• Administrator
  • seedling
  • Kudos: 3
    • Got Greens? Revolution
In what has been considered:

"the first detailed analysis comparing how our system responds to glucose and fructose"

researchers at the University of California Davis reported in the Journal of Clinical Investigation that consuming too much fructose can put you at greater risk of developing heart disease and diabetes than ingesting similar amounts of glucose.

After a 12 week program, the group that consumed 25% of their daily energy requirements via fructose-sweetened drinks showed signs of unhealthy changes in their liver function and fat deposits while the group that consumed 25% of their daily energy requirements via glucose sweetened drinks did not. The fructose drinking group also were not as sensitive to insulin.

Those that consumed fructose-sweetened drinks gained more visceral fat - the fat that embeds itself into the tissues of the heart and liver.

Dr. Walter Willett, chair of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, notes that studies have shown that long-term consumption of sugared drinks can double the risk of diabetes, with half of that risk due to the excess weight brought on by the calories, and the other half due to the beverages' high sugar content — mostly fructose. "This study provides the best argument yet that we should either decide to consume less sugar-sweetened beverages in general, or that we should conduct more research into the possibility of using other sweeteners that may be more glucose-based," says Matthias Tschoep, an obesity researcher at the Obesity Research Center in the University of Cincinnati, and author of a commentary accompanying the study.

References: Time

~
There are many paths up the mountain but the view is the same from the top.

Your Choice: the Vitamix 5200 - OR- the Blendtec Total Blender  for optimum health

Offline green smoothie junkie

• sprout
"This study provides the best argument yet that we should either decide to consume less sugar-sweetened beverages in general, or that we should conduct more research into the possibility of using other sweeteners that may be more glucose-based," says Matthias Tschoep, an obesity researcher at the Obesity Research Center in the University of Cincinnati, and author of a commentary accompanying the study.
[/quote]

Let's go with the "consume less no processed sugar" - I'd hate to see how they would create a glucose-based sweetener.

Offline jstar

• seed
  • Kudos: 0
Suger is like salt to me if you force yourself to do without it you will eventualy get use to not needing it. I have all but rid my diet of salt and when I do eat a chip or something processed which is not very often I cant belive how salty it is. Same with sugar, I started drinking ice tea with no sweatner and have gotten use to it and now I can actualy taste the tea. I so use stevia in my coffee I actually have a stevia plant but also use store bought stevia too.

Offline green smoothie junkie

• sprout
So right you are jstar!

The challenge is... is to do without sugar - it's one of the greatest dietary challenges of this culture with all the added sugar to practically everything!

It's so sad since processed sugar offers ZERO nutritional benefit.