Just when you think that Naturally Sweetened with 100% Juice drink is wholesome and healthy… think again.
Every parent and anyone even just a little bit health conscious knows about the perils of sugar. We know to avoid processed sugars like white sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Why? because they are highly processed, unnatural substances that are stripped of all vitamins, minerals, enzymes, proteins and any other beneficial nutrients. And they are responsible for a long list of health problems.
So choosing drinks and foods that are “100% Natural Fruit Juice-Sweetened” are good for us because it’s fruit juice not sugar… WRONG!
Fruit Juice Sweetener *is* processed sugar, even when the packaging states “100% Juice” or “fruit juice concentrate” or “no sugar added“. In fact, the process of making fruit juice sweetener is nearly identical to the process of making high fructose corn syrup.
The Process of making Natural Fruit Sweetener:
– fruit is ground up, mashed and pressed to extract as much juice as possible
– enzymes are added (most often GMO enzymes) to breakdown the cell walls to further facilitate processing
– the pulp is heated to extreme temperatures to further break down the cell walls and to kill the added enzymes
– additional processing of the “juice” continues to remove all taste, color, smell, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients
– the liquid is treated once again with added enzymes to convert whatever is left to sugars to improve the concentration
– the liquid then goes through an activated carbon filter and a deionization process to remove enzymes and anything other than sugar
– finally the liquid is heated again to remove all the water
A colorless, flavorless syrup-sugar that doesn’t affect PH nor contain any nutrition.
Although this sweetener has no resemblance whatsoever to fruit juice, according to the FDA’s guidelines it is still considered fruit juice concentrate and labeling can include the likes of “no sugar added” and “100% fruit juice“.
Is high-fructose corn syrup “100% Vegetable Juice”?
Of course not and concentrated fruit juice sweetener is NOT 100% Fruit Juice.
Don’t be fooled by the Industrial Marketing Spin Doctors
“Concentrated fruit juice sweetener” is just another processed sugar. Make sure your juice is truly %100 Juice and make your own or buy fresh made juice not from concentrate or with added juice sweeteners.